Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Importance of Fatherhood


Image result for Fatherhood word
This week in my Family Relations class we talked about the importance the role of a father has in a child’s life. Our teacher challenged us this week to go and find a resource that talked about this importance. I went to the Pediatrics of Franklin and found a great article called “The Importance of a Father in a Child’s Life” and it gives some major points to why they are truly an important. I’m going to share with you 5 points of what I took out of this article.

Image result for Fatherhood
1. Fathers play an important role in a child’s life can’t be replaced by others.
                Mothers and fathers are different. There’s no denying it. They play very different roles, mothers tend to play the role of the nurturer, where fathers tend to play the role of provider and protector. These are both very important roles to be played in a child’s life. I think that fathers are important to have around and be great role models for both sons and daughters.



Image result for Fatherhood2. Fathers have a role in a child’s emotional development.
                Children look up to their fathers in some different ways than they look up to their mothers. Fathers enforce rules and provide a sense of protection for children. In the article they said that “Studies have shown that when fathers are affectionate and supportive, it greatly affects a child’s cognitive and social development. It also instills an overall sense of well-being and self-confidence.” (Pediatrics of Franklin). Father’s are an important part of a child’s life.


Image result for Fatherhood3. Fathers set the bar for a child’s relationship with others.
                Our relationships with our fathers determine how we interact with other people. The article says that “The patterns a father sets in the relationships with his children will dictate how his children relate with other people.” (Pediatrics of Franklin). Father’s set the precedent of what our future relationships are like. This is a strong reason of why it’s important for fathers to be involved in their children’s lives.


Image result for Father daughter4. Father’s play a large role for their daughters.
                Fathers play a different role in their daughters’ life than in their sons’ life. Daughters will look up to their dad as an example of what a relationship with a man should be like. The article said “Young girls depend on their fathers for security and emotional support. A father shows his daughter what a good relationship with a man is like.” (Pediatrics of Franklin).  Fathers are an important role model for their daughters!


Image result for Father son 

5. Fathers play large role for their sons.
                For sons, it’s not a role model of what they should find in a relationship, but instead it’s a role model for themselves. The article said that “Boys will seek approval from their fathers from a very young age. As human beings, we grow up by imitating the behavior of those around us; that’s how we learn to function in the world.” (Pediatrics of Franklin). I think that this shows an important reason of why fathers are important, and why they need to be a good example.



Image result for FatherI think that it’s important to understand the importance that fathers play in a child’s life. I was lucky enough to grow up with my father around. I think that there were definite positives to that. My father is a pretty serious guy when it comes to life choices, and always wants us to know all we can and to make the best decisions. I think that this had a huge impact on my ability to make choices on my own. One of things about my father that was a negative and a positive was his work. It was great that he worked and provided for us, however, when we were growing up, we lived in California and my dad had a long commute. This made it so that we didn’t see him much. It was hard not having him around as much but was nice that he was providing for us.
Another thing I appreciated that my father, was h
is dedication in religion. My father wasn’t pushy about religion but set a good example of what we should be doing. That really helped shape me to be who I am today. I think that it is important to have faith, and to show our children that we have faith. I think that this can help children grow up with standards and know what they want out of life.


In my future family, I want my husband to play an extremely active role in our children’s lives. Currently I am engaged, I am getting married in just under 2 months. I talked to my fiancĂ© about the role of a father. He said that it is important to be an active role model for your children, show them what they should be doing. He also said that he thinks that it is important to show your children that both parents are actively involved and love them. He said that it’s important to let your children know that you are them for them, but even more important than telling them, is showing them.
I feel so blessed to be marrying someone who is excited to have children, and truly wants to be the best husband and father that he can be! I think that it is important to make sure that you and your spouse are on the same page when it comes to parenting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating a New Family (Separation From Parents)

Growing up I was always excited to get married. However, as I got older, I realized that it meant that I would be getting a new family. Tha...