Saturday, February 9, 2019

Gender and It's Roles


Image result for the word gender

This week in my Family Relations class we talked about gender. This has become a very controversial topic in our society. This is not a topic that I normally like to discuss because I feel that it is controversial, and I don’t want to offend anyone. However, I do have views, and they do line up with the views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which I am an active member of.


Image result for The Family: A proclamation to the world
In “The Family: A Proclamation To The World”, which is a document stating the church’s beliefs on family and gender roles it says, “All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.”


Image result for God's children
I agree with this statement. I believe that we are children of a Heavenly Father and are created in His image. I also believe that our gender is eternal. I know that this is a conflicting view with many people, and I do not mean to offend anyone, but this is just what I believe. I think it is important to be respectful of all people, regardless of how they live their lives, and that it is not our place to judge God’s children. We are all God's children, and He loves us no matter what.


Image result for Husband with a beard and wife cartoon
In this proclamation it also goes to talk about the roles of a husband/father and a wife/mother. It says that, “By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.” This is a very traditional belief and has become a less and less popular belief within society. The proclamation goes on to say that “Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children.” This is another traditional belief that is also becoming less and less of a popular belief. I must say that I do agree with these statements, however, I also believe that if a husband and wife feel that the wife should work, then the wife should work. I also feel that if a husband and wife feel that the husband should stay home with the children and help raise them, then by all means that’s what he should do. However, I do believe that it is in a male's nature to provide, and a female's nature to nurture. 


Image result for gender roles
Gender roles are a big topic, and I feel that it is such an individual thing about what roles we take on. Every person has their agency to act in what way they best see fit. I do not think that it is any one’s place to judge another for what roles others have chosen to take on. I also feel that it is not anyone’s place to tell anyone else what roles they should take on. Individuals know themselves and know what they need to be doing. I think that more than anything it is important to be respectful of other decisions, even if we do not agree with those decisions. I believe that when we do this, we have better relationships. I have seen many families get torn apart because of this. It’s not anyone’s place to say how others should be living their lives, we may disagree with how they are doing it, but it is important to stay respectful and keep our relationships strong.

Image result for Love and respect



Ultimately, I believe that every person has a right to live their lives the way the best see fit. I think that it is important to be respectful. I believe that when we do this, we can truly see others divine potentials. I think that most importantly it is important to love those around us

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating a New Family (Separation From Parents)

Growing up I was always excited to get married. However, as I got older, I realized that it meant that I would be getting a new family. Tha...