Saturday, January 26, 2019

Theories Commonly Practiced in Families


One of the things I found most interesting in my studies for my Family Relations class this week were the different theories that we can see practiced in families. In our textbook it said, “In simplest terms, a theory is an explanation.” “It is an emotion that we can recognize and one that structures the nature of our relationships. More formally, a theory is a set of logically related propositions that explain some phenomenon.” (Lauer & Lauer. Chapter 1). In the textbook it talks about 4 different theories; Systems theory, Exchange theory, Symbolic Interaction theory, and Conflict theory. For our class we were supposed to expand about what we understood about these by thinking of the different ways that we see these theories practiced in families, and that is what I am going to expand on in my post today.

Systems Theory:
Systems theory is where there is a group of different interrelated people. These people are not independent, but rather they all work together. I really liked this theory, I think that it is very important for families to work together, however, I also believe that it is important for people to be independent. I think that it is good for families to work together and help build up each other’s strengths and help with each other’s weaknesses as well. I think that we see this theory in a lot of families. I have personally seen families where family members are basically assigned one job in that family, and that is what they do in that family. I think that it is better to have a rotation on jobs in the family, to make sure that everyone is equipped with the life skills they need.

Exchange Theory:
Exchange theory is essentially the “you owe me one” philosophy. I think that this is seen most within siblings. I know that in my life whenever my siblings did something for me, they would ask for a favor in return. I don’t think that this is necessarily a bad theory, but I think that it isn’t always required of someone to return a favor. I think that this shows that when you need something, something is required of you. I think that this is a good theory to practice because this is largely what our society is like. In life you are expected to give money for goods and services, and how do you get that money? You use the skills you have learned in life in a job to earn it.

Symbolic Interactions Theory:
Symbolic Interactions Theory is essentially the belief that people are influenced and shaped by the interactions they have in life. I believe this to be true. I think that what we have going on around us shapes a lot about who we are. I don’t believe it shapes everything about who we are, just some. I think that our interactions with others, especially for little children, can influence our decisions. I think that some people have strong personalities and when they are a dominant person in your life, you’re going to tend to follow that person.

Conflict Theory:
Conflict theory is the belief that “all societies are characterized by inequality, conflict, and change as groups within the society struggle to over scarce resources.” (Lauer & Lauer. Chapter 1). Essentially, this is saying that where we grow up, and what social class we are in has a large say in how we are. I think that this is partially true. I think that often we do what others around us are doing. However, I do think that there are those who break through that norm and excel at something different.

Citations:
Lauer & Lauer. Chapter 1. file:///C:/Users/Carlyle/Downloads/Lauer%20&%20Lauer,%20Chapter%2001%20(1).pdf
Lofquist, Lugaila, O’Connell and Feliz. Households and Families: 2010: 2010 Census Briefs. file:///C:/Users/Carlyle/Downloads/us%20census%20-%20households%20and%20families,%202010.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating a New Family (Separation From Parents)

Growing up I was always excited to get married. However, as I got older, I realized that it meant that I would be getting a new family. Tha...